Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Another Of My Poems-Rebekah

                                         In The Hands of the Land
          
In my veins flow the rivers,
In my eyes the sun glows.
Upon my ears the forest whispers,
Upon my heart the oaks grow.
With my feet the earth moves.
Through my fingers the grasses slide.
In the moonlight my hair glistens.
The stars become my guide.
The wind is there to comfort and soothe,
The daises are there to coax a smile to my lips,
And through the leaves I laugh.


I hear the wind call: "I'm Hers"
And at times I feel I own this land.
That I have the power of the river,
To twist and wind and move things as if by command.
Yet really I am helpless.


This place has me in its clutches,
Firmly, Strongly,
And it won't let me free.
To fight it would be useless,
For to pull up the roots of an oak means death to the tree,
Yet to let the oak stay firm in the clutches of the land it stays strong.


So I will not fight this land,
The land I call my home.
For to pull my heart from the soil would shatter it,
And it will leave me as shiftless as sand.
I will stay under the strong hand of the land,
And like the oak I will become strong.
Because I have found that:
I Belong To the Land
Oklahoma
By, Rebekah Owens

No comments:

Post a Comment